The Swiss Family Robinson Study Questions
1. As they are leaving the ship, each member of the family grabs supplies that they think will be important. What would you take? What do you think is the most important item to have on a deserted island?
2. When Fritz throws stones at the monkeys, they throw coconuts back at him. Do you think this was a clever strategy? Can you think of a better way to get coconuts?
3. Jack continues to surprise everyone by creating items to help them on the island. Have you ever made anything from scratch?
4. Father decides that the family will rest from their hard work on Sunday. What would you do if you finally had a day of rest?
5. What do you think of the way Fritz got the animals off the boat? Can you think of anything else that may have worked? What is the most creative idea you’ve ever had?
6. Father’s knowledge helps the family to live very well on the island. Do you think you could survive on a deserted island? Do you have any knowledge that could help you?
7. The family eats strange animals and vegetables to stay alive. Would you eat these creatures? What is the strangest thing you’ve ever eaten?
8. The father keeps telling his children that they have to be calmer. Why is it so important to stay calm in this kind of situation? How would you feel if you were one of the children?
9. Why do you think the family ultimately decided to destroy the wreck? Was it a good or a bad decision? What would you have done in their place?
10. The family builds different kinds of homes all over the island. Which home would you most like to live in? What kind of home would you build for yourself?
11. The Robinsons celebrate the anniversary of landing on the island with a Thanksgiving Day. How is their Thanksgiving different the holiday we celebrate?
12. The family celebrates their first year on the island with a competition among the boys. Who did you think would win each event? What sport are you best at?
13. Why do you think the family decides to build a museum? Do you think this was a good idea or a foolish one?
14. Were you surprised that Sir Edward Montrose turned out to be a woman? Have you ever tried to hide your identity from someone?
15. Were you surprised that half the family decided to stay on the island? How did you expect the book to end? What would you have done in their position?
Learn more about our Unabridged Classics Series