How to apply for open positions within Sterling:
Division: Sterling Publishing Co., Inc.
Reports to: Associate Art Director
Summary: The Senior Designer establishes and maintains ongoing communication with the Editorial and Production departments to ensure cost efficiency, timely execution, quality control and follow-through from design transmittal to bound books. The workload consists of 50% original design and 50% production design. This is a split position between Adult and Children’s titles.
- Manages a portion of the interior designs for Trade Books by hiring and supervising freelance designers, illustrators and photographers.
- Designs a portion of interiors for the Trade Book list, working closely with Art Directors and the Editorial and Production departments. Manages and/or designs covers for Trade books when appropriate
- Maintains and manages Sterling Prepress asset and file requirements for all assigned projects through all phases of the book’s creation.
- Reviews and approves color proofs with the Production department.
- Improves and maintains standards of design, file creation and color printing for all projects through collaboration with the Editorial and Production departments.
- Maintains and assists in the development of departmental and publishing procedures, including increased productivity, communication, collaboration, design creativity and quality.
- Exercises fiscal responsibility in managing design and production of titles.
- 4-year college degree preferably in Graphic Design, or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum 3-5 years experience as a Designer, preferably with 1-2 years in illustrated book or magazine publishing.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Bridge, Acrobat) with competent knowledge of their application in book design and production.
- Working knowledge of QuarkXpress, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR PORTFOLIO WHEN YOU APPLY.
Division: Sterling Publishing Co., Inc.
Reports to: Production Manager
Summary: The Associate Production Manager supports the Production Managers, and acts as a liaison with various departments within Sterling Publishing to ensure the smooth daily running of the Production department.
- Assists with Production Managers as needed and assigned.
- Works with both foreign and domestic manufacturers to achieve the production goals and vision for each project and/or series.
- Develops and maintains notes and data for jobs as they proceed through the manufacturing process.
- Reviews and updates weekly schedules.
- Interfaces with other departments within Sterling, including Design, Editorial, Sales and Inventory teams and brings to Production Managers attention issues that may be impeding progress of production materials.
- Traffics various materials related to each project (i.e. color proofs, digital files).
- Generates purchase orders and maintains title entries in Title Management Module (TMM), Purchase Order Management System (POMS) and VISTA.
- Assists the Logistics Manager and printer’s shipping department to ensure on-time delivery to warehouse.
- Assists in reviewing and processing production invoices, reconciling against approved program expenses.
- Updates and maintains minutes for weekly Production meetings
- Opens packages and distributes materials to appropriate managers, when needed.
- Prepares packages for shipping when needed.
- Special projects as assigned.
- 4-year college degree or equivalent work experience.
- 2 years or more experience in print production. Publishing experience preferred.
- Detailed knowledge of the printing process and proofing. Experience in book plus and kit production preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, especially Excel.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience with Title Management Module (TMM) / POMS a plus. Knowledge of VISTA a plus.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to prioritize effectively.
- Strong time management skills and ability to adapt to changing needs.
- Proven ability to work in a fast paced, deadline driven environment.
Please submit salary requirements, cover letter, and resume to Human Resources.
Resumes without salary requirements will not be considered.
Sterling Publishing Co., Inc.
387 Park Ave. South
New York, NY 10016
Attn: Human Resources